‘Pot dogs’ a growing concern for pet owners | Cape Cod Times

PLEASE BE MINDFUL OF YOUR PET 🐾 AND WHAT YOUR PET INGESTS, ESPECIALLY IN PUBLIC PLACES. OR AT HOUSE PARTIES. 🐶 A DOG IN DISTRESS FROM INGESTING MARIJUANA PRODUCTS SUFFERS TOXIC OVERLOAD…IT IS NEITHER CUTE NOR FUNNY. 🐕🐩💔

~PB

‘Pot dogs’ a growing concern for pet owners

ORLEANS — There’s a new drug crisis on Cape Cod and the Islands, and its victims may come as a surprise…

https://www.capecodtimes.com/news/20190302/pot-dogs-growing-concern-for-pet-owners?

Excerpts:

“…Dr. Daniel Hebert, originally from Dennis Port, is the owner of Duxbury Animal Hospital. He said a telltale sign that a dog has been poisoned by marijuana ingestion is dribbling urine, paranoia and twitchiness.

Walking with a “drunken gait,” if the dog can even walk at all, is also a major symptom, according to Rahilly.

It’s scary,” she said. “They often can’t walk, are vomiting and urinating. For an owner who doesn’t know what happened, they often think it’s a stroke….”

“..While eating marijuana plants and buds is harmful to dogs, edible cannabis products pose even more of a danger. They often resemble dog treats and have higher concentrations of THC. Many also are made with chocolate, another toxin for dogs…”

“It can be fatal, and that’s the scariest part,” Knepper said. “High concentrations can cause respiratory suppression and low blood pressure and lead to a fatality if not treated and monitored closely. It’s dose-dependent, so marijuana ingestion can be worse for smaller dogs.”